Have you ever felt that just because you use the same fitness plan as someone else you should get the exact same result? Well many people seem to think that way. unfortunately that is most times not the case.
Jen and Megan are both using the same 30 day challenge plan. The fitness plan uses the same number of calories for each person and the same workouts. They have the same height and weight and are also the same age. Jen lost 15 pounds on the plan while Megan lost 5 pounds. Megan was very upset about this since they have similar statistics.
What is wrong with this thinking? Several things, Megan is not considering the other factors that could influence the difference in the weight loss. Many times, people compare where they are right now and their fitness goals with others and expect similar results. Just because one person lost 30 pounds does not mean you would equally lose 30 pounds.
- Lifestyle: both Megan and Jen most likely do not have the same lifestyles. Jen might have been more active than Megan
- Workouts: They did the same workouts but probably not at the same intensity level
- Health condition: There are some health conditions that could make it harder to lose weight such as thyroid related issues
- Metabolism: One may have had a faster metabolism than the other
- Body composition: One may have a lower or higher body fat which would also affect the rate of fat loss.
- Genetics: Genes play a role in weight loss. Maybe on your side of the family, they tend to gain weight very easily and hold on to it as opposed to others.
- Hormones: A lot of people have imbalances in their hormones which in turn could affect weight loss.
- Emotions: the way you feel, the support system you have around you can make a difference in your progress.
- Stress: high stress levels lead to weight gain
- Medication: There are several medications that could lead to weight gain and thus hinder or slow down your progress
You need to stop comparing yourself with others because it will only destroy you. In life, someone is always going to have what you want and so much more. Someone is always going to look better than you. One way to get out of this comparison hole is understanding who you are in Christ, understanding why he created you and your purpose. Instead of wasting your time being like Megan, focus on being better than you were yesterday because thats the only person you should compete with. Focus on who God created you to be!