Hey Lovelies, it’s crazy that Christmas is in about a week right? I wanted to talk about How to stay Healthy during the holidays. You know one thing i have noticed with holidays? people tend to get so sick! Last year on Christmas day i came down with Tonsilitis, it was so terrible, i was at church and was so weak i could not stand. We had to leave the church and go to the urgent care clinic. Anyway, as a pharmacist, the days after a holiday like Christmas, several people come in with scripts for antibiotics etc due to falling sick. This really sucks cause holidays are a time of happiness and Joy right? Sometimes we joke about how people rush in days before holidays to refill their anxiety medications. But seriously, that is a trend i have noticed and it makes me wonder why???
Anyway, this post is not just talking about how to stay fit during the holidays in terms of exercise and eating right. Being healthy is an overall state, physical, spiritual, mental, emotional journey.
How to stay Healthy during the holidays
- Learn to say no: During holidays, this can be especially hard because holidays are festive periods. But it’s important to learn to say No. Sometimes, by saying Yes to everything, you are doing yourself a great injustice. It’s better to tell the person to give you some time to think about it than jump to say No then regret it. Saying yes to everything will wear you out and you end up not giving your best to anything. This also applies to family gatherings, if it’s not somewhere you think you should be, say no. Having to take anxiety medicine or get stressed up just does not add up during festive periods.
- Prioritize, have a to-do list: Holidays especially Christmas can be very busy. With having to run around for gifts for everyone, to planning for events, spending money etc. It can be a stressful period all around. Hence, it’s important to have a to-do list of all you need to get done and prioritize them. Some things really can wait till after the holidays so relieve yourself of some of those stressors. Also, ask for help when you need to.
- Eat right: I cannot make a blog post about being healthy without stating the obvious. Eating right is essential to being healthy during the holidays. If you have a particular health condition, know what foods are off bounds and do not eat them or throw caution to the wind. It is all about balance, you can indulge a little but do not go overboard. Load up your plates with veggies and fruits, drink lots of water.
- Get some sleep: This goes without saying, sleep is important. The holiday season can be very festive and hence less sleep. However, try to find a balance and get a decent amount of sleep each night. You do not want to get back from the holidays all worn out from it.
- Give to others: Giving is super important especially during this season. Find ways to give back to people, be it family, friends or coworkers. The Bible speaks so much about giving to people and the blessings of a giver. I am a testimony to giving to others and being blessed. When you give back, do not expect to get back. Also, do not always only give to those who can give back to you. Find less privileged people and sow into their lives. You could sow time to volunteer somewhere or spend time with people. I wrote a post for Thanksgiving on ways to share the Thanksgiving joy and they are applicable here. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Comparison trap: Stop comparing your lives with others. During holidays, it can be hard to ignore people with amazing family gathering photos, food pictures, parties etc. It could make you have a fear of missing out (FOMO) Have you seen some of those holiday movies where the families are large and look so happy and perfect? Maybe even Instagram videos of friends with their families dancing and laughing while you are stuck at home. Comparison is the thief of joy, it will only take away from you. God has created us all in his image and made perfect all that concerns you. You are more than enough just as he has created you. When you compare your life with that of others, you rob yourself of really enjoying this life. Comparison is a topic for another day, I would not go much into it now lol.
- Stay active: Again, this is important here. Find ways to stay active during the holidays. It can be as simple as moving around more, taking the stairs, parking a little further away from your destination. Find ways to implement fitness into your holiday plans.
- Be genuine: Treasure this moment with your family and loved ones. Noone knows tomorrow, spend time with those you love and show them that you care. When you are with them, be truly present and enjoy the moment.
How to stay Healthy during the holidays: Do not let being ill get the best of you this holiday, find ways to stay healthy and enjoy this amazing period with family and friends.