My daughter turned 2 years old a few weeks ago so i will be sharing her Two year old milestone. This is also the first of the Mom wins/fails series. I plan to do this at the end of each month to discuss things i learned. I think it’s a great idea to always reflect on each month to see what our successes or failures and learn from them. Sometimes as mothers, we beat ourselves up so much for little things. We do one wrong and feel we are not fit to be mothers or we compare our lives with the picture perfect lives of people on social media. Mommy guilt is real guys, very real. But i actually accept the mommy guilt. Why, you may ask, because i believe its a sign that i am human and a loving mom. Without this mommy guilt, it would mean i have perfected everything about motherhood (which is not possible). It could also mean i do not care anymore. So learn to embrace it when you have it. Often times, the areas we think we failed in, no one else actually sees it as a failure. As a mother i have learned so much about myself, family, kids and life in general. Click HERE to read my lessons from motherhood post.
I HAVE INCLUDED AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. HAVE NO FEAR, THE PRICE OF EACH ITEM WILL BE THE SAME FOR YOU, BUT IF YOU SHOP THROUGH THE LINKS I INCLUDED FOR EACH ITEM, YOU WILL BE HELPING MAINTAIN THIS BLOG THROUGH A SMALL COMMISSION I RECEIVE OFF YOUR PURCHASE FROM THE STORES. THANK YOU
Two year old Milestone Plus January Mom wins & fails
- This month, my biggest mom win was my daughter turning 2 years old! This is huge for me because i remember when we came home from the hospital, you can read my Labor story HERE. We did not know what the heck we were to do with a tiny human. I always wonder how we have been able to keep her alive lol. Read to the end for her two-year-old update. We celebrated by taking she, her cousin and my best friend’s niece to Port Discovery in Baltimore.
- She moved to the 2-year-old class at daycare
- She is really getting into using her potty. Although she has never really pee-ed in it, that’s a huge step for me. She says “Teapot” when she wants to use her little potty while she says “I pee” to use the actual toilet. It’s so hilarious when she differentiates them that way. I am not sure where she came up with a teapot for the potty though.
- This is from last month, but i re-organized my daughter’s closet. I have been wanting to do this for months but never got around to doing it.
- I am no longer stressing so much about her eating habits. If you know my daughter, you know she is so picky about food. The crazy thing is she eats most things at daycare but at home, she will only eat Pasta, pizza, cookies, bread and her cereal (Golden morn).
- I have finally found a nice morning routine that seems to work for both of us yayyy. It involves, changing her diaper when she wakes up, having her brush her teeth and pee or teapot loll. We do not shower in the mornings anymore since she had to visit the dermatologist for eczema and he advised to minimize baths. Next, we head downstairs for breakfast which is usually her cereal. Once she is eating, i am able to run in for a quick shower till she demands my attention in about 10minutes lol.
- This month, well since last month, she sort of reclined in her sleeping habit. Now she wakes up around 3 am and wants to move to our bedroom
- She fell off her changing table this month, i was changing her and turned for 2 seconds to grab her socks and she came tumbling down.
- I got a different pair of earrings for her and they ended up hurting her ears and peeling them. I didn’t realize it until weeks later and changed them immediately
- One huge fail for me was last year summer, i never put much thought into bug sprays. She had always gone out with no issues. Well, one day her school took parents and kids to the farm. She played with the rabbit and a few others. Two days later, she was itching and suddenly huge mosquito like spots filled her entire body. It was terrible, i remember a friend asking why i didn’t have bug spray and the importance, i felt so ashamed. We had to go see her pediatrician who recommended some extra things to help out.
It is important to just see the failures as nothing more than lessons. Do not let them hold you back or make you feel less of a mother in any way. You are so much more, you kept this baby for months in your womb and brought them to this world. You are a rockstar!
Demi’s Two-year-old update
First, i cannot believe we officially have a two-year-old in the house! The stage of the terrific twos. She actually started hers a lot earlier, i would say around 18months lol. Here is her milestones update:
Weight: 28.6 pounds with a clean diaper on.
Length: 35 inches
Diaper size: Size 4
Clothing size: It really depends, usually 18 months
Nicknames: Dembubu, Darling, Tabi
She definitely is a talker, although when she is with people she is unfamiliar with, she tends to hang onto myself or daddy lol. My daughter actually refuses to let anyone carry her which can be a pain when i need to get things done or just have fun. Hopefully, this changes a little this year lol. Back to talking, she has so many vocabularies under her belt. It’s amazing. I know all parents say their kids are smart but ill repeat it, my daughter is super smart! We often wonder where she gets some of her words.
She can say her numbers 1-13, read the entire alphabet and recognize most of them when she sees them. Demi loves to write, most of my books have a sign of her presence on them.
Demi also loves to sing and dance, we signed her up for a music session at her daycare already lolll. Her favorite cartoon character is Peppa Pig. We made sure her cake had Peppa Pig on it. Another favorite of her is her two dolls that sleep in her bed. She loves both of them. They can both be found either sleeping in bed all day or going on a stroll with her in their stroller. She never wants to go on walks without both of them. Once she wakes up, she tells them goodnight again lolll, then turns off the light, blows them a kiss and shuts the door. So cute!!
She loves her bedtime stories. We started out reading one book and somehow ended up with 4 books at bedtime. First, we have to read 2 books on Peppa pig then two other books. Her favorite books are “The very hungry caterpillar” and “Chicka Chicka boom boom“. Gosh, i have read the very hungry caterpillar book every day for the past one year. I can recite the whole book without looking at it.
We have a good bedtime routine so far, she goes to bed by 8 pm and sleeps or is meant to sleep till 6 am, recently she has been waking up around 3 am trying to come to our room. Sometimes we end up bringing her in because we are both too tired to deal with the tantrums. She has also figured out how to open the door so i worry she might fall down the stairs trying to get to our room.
Demi is not potty trained yet, but showing interest in it, so we would be starting potty training in a few months. I do not want to feel pressured about it, so taking our time.
She is not much of a climber but loves to run around and work out with mommy. Once i put on my workout videos, she wants to join in.
Healthwise she has been great, just a few occasions of daycare calling us due to throw-ups or fever. But nothing crazy. Only hard part is hubby having to leave work early a few times to pick her. His job is a bit more family friendly unlike mine lol.
She does not like toys that move around and make noise lol. She does not like naptime even though she falls sound asleep.
Like i said earlier, she is a fussy eater and would only eat what she wants which is pizza, pasta, cookies, and bread. She eats most things they give in daycare except burgers, fries, and a few others but not at home. We have tried forcing her but she pushes it back out. Plus i really do not like the idea of forcing kids to eat something so they do not have bad relationships with it.
One baby item i love using with her is the baby carrier although it’s not as comfortable since she is heavier lol. Feel free to check out my post on Baby products i loved as a first-time mom.
What is some Mommy wins and fails you have had so far?