Motherhood is a totally different experience all round! I cant even explain it but i am learning so much and taking it a day at a time. First i cant even believe i am a mother, i still wake up in the middle of the night or just think randomly if its all a dream, and then i see a baby item and i am like “oh its not a dream” lolll. But yes i look at Baby Demi and cannot believe she came out of me!
I have learned several things and i would love to share some of them:
First of, let me be honest with you guys, some people experienced love at first sight when they had their babies. But not me! I was so drained, i carried her but was super tired and not feeling much of that love lol. It took me a couple of weeks to actually feel that love and if that was you, it doesn’t mean you are a bad mum. When they told me that night of delivery that she was going to be sleeping in my room with me in the hospital, i was like whattttt, I’m too tired right now lol. I also had pregnancy blues where i was crying for no reason lol. But yep, that aside I’m feeling super lovey dovey on her now!!!
1) Multitasking skills: Mothers in my opinion are the best multi taskers period! Throughout the day i have learned skills on how to carry her, while typing and eating and watching tv and pumping and breastfeeding etc. I mean there is so little time in the day to get stuff done. Especially when she is sleeping, i tend to use that opportunity to run around and get several things done. I know they say nap when baby naps but lets be realistic, how many of us really follow that rule?
2) Inbuilt motherhood skills: i have always been worried about motherhood, like how do i know this, how do i know how to do this or care for another baby when i still see myself as a big child lol. But everyone kept telling me it will come naturally and no lies, it has been coming naturally. I mean i dont know it all or i barely know anything but just having that love for her is enough to conquer all. I am so grateful that God placed some lovely big sisters for me that i bug so many times with loads of questions.
3) Selflessness: I have learned to be more selfless. I have this little baby that demands all my time and attention. My sleep is cut short and i cannot afford to say i am not waking up to feed you! lol I have to wake up and feed her. I also cannot say i wont breastfeed her because i am in pains etc. Many times hubby is sleeping and i have to wake up and drag myself to feed her or change her diapers etc I remember in the beginning, i had barely slept an hour at night when she was hungry again, my mum came to wake me up and breastfeeding was still hurting like crazy, so I’m feeding her and balling in tears from the pain, Goke, mum and dad came over to pet me cause really, i can’t not feed her, i had to endure the pain.
4) More prayerful: Many times i find myself randomly just praying for my family and just praying for the best for us. I also pray for her while combing her hair everyday, something my mum started doing with her when she visited. Sometimes i think of random things and just start praying over her and over my entire family and loved ones.
5) Focus: I have been learning the importance of focusing and being more goal oriented. I cant tell her to focus on her goals and to aspire if i cannot even do that. She will learn from what she sees us do, thus i need to be a great example for her to follow.
6) Patience: Yep this!!! I am not the most patient person even though people think i am. But having to feed a baby several times a day and just sit there till she is done feeding is definitely teaching me patience. Some days she eats fast, some days she takes her time. Whatever the case, i can’t rush her unless i want a fussy baby.
7) Go with the flow: Everyday is different and thus i am learning to just take it a day at a time and pray and trust God to direct the entire day and that however the day comes, he is in control.
8) Planner: I am definitely a lot better at planning out my day now due to time crunch. I have learned to manage my time, prioritize and schedule things ahead of time.
9) Watching hubby and seeing him in a different light: This right here is so amazing. I mean, i can’t tell you how full my heart is especially hear him pray for her, carry her, sing to her, change her diapers, talk about future plans with her, let her sleep on his chest. Its so amazing, i literally wanna cry tears of joy each time lol.
Okay, those are the main things so far, will update as i go